The board resolved that the following projects should be pursued by SAEOPA during 2020, with the three-pronged objective of promoting the industry, assisting growers and generating income for the Association:
- Finding off-takers for new and established growers’ products.
- Collecting “weeds” such as kalahari melon from farmers’ fields prior to the summer planting season, and processing and selling it.
- Export promotion and assistance to members.
- Improving the quality of locally produced oils.
In addition to the above, the Association provides active support toward diverse initiatives to the benefit of the industry, e.g.:
The Global Quality and Standards Programme – South Africa (GQSP-SA), funded by the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) and implemented by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), which aims to strengthen the quality of essential and vegetable oils exports from South Africa.
The Programme focuses on the following species and products:
|Essential oils||Vegetable oils|
|Buchu oil||Baobab oil|
|Cape chamomile oil||Kalahari melon seed oil|
|Helichrysum oil||Manketti/Mongongo seed oil|
|Lippia oil||Marula oil|
|Rose Geranium oil||Ximenia oil|
The ABS Compliant Biotrade in South(ern) Africa (ABioSA) project, funded by the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) and implemented by the ABS Capacity Development Initiative (www.abs-initiative.info) under the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). This project also assists selected local producers’ to comply with the regulatory requirements for trade with the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA).
The project focuses on the following species and products:
- Baobab Seed Oil
- Buchu essential oil
- Cape camomile essential oil
- Helichrysum essential oil
- Kalahari melon seed oil
- Lippia javanica essential oil
- Mafura seed oil and butter (Trichilia emetica)
- Marula seed oil
- Mongongo seed oil
- Rose geranium essential oil
- Ximenia americana and caffra seed oil.