Notice to BABS permit holders and applicants, 25 March 2020
NOTICE TO THE PERMIT HOLDERS, PERMIT APPLICANTS AND THE
GENERAL STAKEHOLDERS, UNDER THE BIOPROSPECTING, ACCESS
AND BENEFIT SHARING AMENDMENT REGULATIONS OF 2015:
Interim Measures for Communication between the BABS Secretariat and the
Permit Holders, Permit Applicants and the General Stakeholders during the
National Lockdown for 21 Days
As you are aware, The President of the Republic of South Africa has declared a National State of Disaster
as an urgent response to the COVID-19 Global Outbreak and the necessary national containment
measures which includes a National Lockdown for 21 days, effective from 26 March 2020 until 16 April
2020.This notice seeks to inform the Permit Holders, Permit Applicants and the General Stakeholders
about the interim measures that have been put in place following the President’s announcement:
1. The BABS Secretariat will be closed from 26 March 2020 until the 16th April 2020.
2. All permit applications scheduled for evaluation by the Bioprospecting Advisory Committee will be
evaluated after the 16th April 2020.
3. All new applications for BABS permits and request for renewals received via emails during this period
will be attended to via email and where necessary, through a call.
4. All requests for permit amendment received during this period will be processed after the 16th April
5. All permit applications that have been recommended to the Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the
Environment for a final decision which may be finalized during this period will be processed after the
16th April 2020. However, as soon as the Minister’s decision is finalised, an email notification will be
sent to the permit applicant.
6. All reports that are due from the Permit Holders should be submitted after the 16th April 2020.
7. All monetary benefits received from the Permit Holders which are due to the relevant beneficiaries
will be processed after the 16th April 2020.
For any enquiries, please contact the BABS Secretariat via email: Lmabadahane@environment.gov.za
Issued by the Bioprospecting, Access and Benefit Sharing (BABS) Secretariat
25 March 2020